For all stairways, check lighting, handrails, and the condition of the steps and coverings.
- Each step, especially the edge steps should be lighted so they can be clearly seen while going up and down the stairs. Ensure there is no glare or shadows along the stairway.
- Use the highest allowed wattage bulb for your light fitting
- If glare is a problem use a frosted bulb or indirect lighting or lamp shades.
- Make sure a qualified person fits the light
- Have electric switches fitted at the top and bottom of the stairs
- Ensure each step allows secure footing
- Loose carpeting and worn treads can lead to insecure footing
- Avoid wearing slippers, socks or smooth soled shoes whilst in the stairs
- Consider painting the outside step with a paint with a rough texture or use abrasive strips
- Steps should all be the same size and height
- Ensure the edges of each step can be clearly seen
- Avoid carpets with a thick pile or dark in colour
- Make sure the stairway is always free of objects lying around
- Consider having a stairlift fitted
*** REMEMBER PERIODICALLY TO RE-CHECK YOUR HOME!